FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2013 TRIBECA DRIVE-IN®, FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR, TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY AND FAMILY SCREENINGS ANNOUNCED AS PART OF 12TH ANNUAL TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL®
Drive-In Events to Feature The Birds, Beetlejuice, and Lil Bub & Friendz
Two Public Screenings in Partnership with MoMA PS1, Plus a Free Sneak Preview of The Smurfs 2 and Family Screening of The Smurfs with Cast Members Appearances Add to TFF Community Offerings
New York, NY – (March 25, 2013) –
The Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by American Express, today announced the return of their signature free community events: the Tribeca Drive-In (April 18-20), Family Festival Street Fair (April 27), Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day (April 27), and Family Screenings (April 21 and 27).
TFF also announced the three film titles that will screen free for the community at the Tribeca Drive-In movie series at Brookfield Place (World Financial Center Plaza), co-sponsored by AT&T and JetBlue, and hosted by Brookfield. The series will kick off with the classic Hitchcock film, The Birds, followed by Tim Burton’s beloved comedy Beetlejuice and a screening of Lil Bub & Friendz, a new film playing in the Festival about a cat made famous online and his friends. Games and activities for all ages will take place before each screening, including movie trivia, a ghoulish costume contest, face painting, prize giveaways and more.
The annual Tribeca Family Festival Street Fair will feature an exciting lineup of programs to entertain the entire family, including the new Tribeca Studios Backlot, which will transform a downtown street into an interactive movie set where visitors can explore a wide range of elements that go into creating a film production on location in New York City. Also new this year is the Tribeca Food Feast, which will offer festivalgoers a chance to watch chefs from the neighborhood and beyond create their unique dishes on a show kitchen stage and try their hand at a variety of cooking activities. Street Fair favorites including live Broadway performances, arts and crafts and puppet shows will also return to the annual celebration of the Tribeca neighborhood. In addition, the Family Festival will feature an exciting sneak preview of the upcoming summer comedy The Smurfs 2, alongwith a free family screening of the beloved film The Smurfs, with appearances by cast members.
“Free events that foster culture and community have long been a cornerstone of the Festival mission,” said Peter Downing, Creative Director and Producer, Tribeca Family Festival. “We are looking forward to once again welcoming families from downtown as well as New Yorkers from across the city to experience the fun and energy of our signature Street Fair and Sports Day, and to introduce new programs like the Tribeca Studios Backlot and Tribeca Food Feast that are sure to delight visitors of all ages.”
Rounding out TFF’s free offerings is a new program in partnership with MoMA PS1. Alberi, a TFF special screening, will run as a free installation at the VW Dome at MoMA PS1, and Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, which will premiere in the World Narrative Competition section of the Festival, will celebrate film and culture at the VW Dome 2 in the Rockaways in partnership with MoMA PS1 and Rooftop Films.
“Every year we seek to provide new opportunities for the community to come together to laugh, be entertained and to celebrate film through events like our Drive-In movies on the Hudson, screenings in partnership with MoMA PS1 or free screenings of a family comedy like The Smurfs,” said Genna Terranova, Director of Programming, Tribeca Film Festival. “In addition, we are excited to continue to build our public programming with a variety of free exhibitions that celebrate storytelling and innovation and engage the New York creative community.”
Each year, TFF’s free events bring thousands of people downtown to enjoy top-notch talent and entertainment, while highlighting the restaurants, merchants, schools and community organizations of lower Manhattan. The free events are as follows:
TRIBECA DRIVE-IN OUTDOOR SCREENINGS
Thursday-Saturday, April 18-April 20
8:15 p.m.; doors open at 6 p.m.
Brookfield Place (World Financial Center Plaza)
Co-sponsored by AT&T and JetBlue, and hosted by Brookfield
TFF’s outdoor screening series features the following films for this year’s Tribeca Drive-In. The free evening of cinema under the stars is open to the public, and seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open at 6 p.m. The programs will also begin at 6 p.m., with screenings starting at dusk (approximately 8:15 p.m.).
The Birds—Thursday, April 18
Celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of one of the greatest thrillers ever made! A casual boy-meets-girl story takes a turn toward the extreme when the couple lands in the tiny town of Bodega Bay, California, just in time to witness its sizable population of birds attack. Alfred Hitchcock, the Master of Suspense, directed this nightmarish fantasy starring Tippi Hedren, Rod Taylor, Jessica Tandy and Suzanne Pleshette. Courtesy of Universal.
Come early for classic movie trivia contests and other chances to win great prizes.
Beetlejuice—Friday, April 19
Two just-arrived ghosts discover that scaring away the new residents of their old house is not as easy as saying a name three times. This beloved comedy from 1988 was the perfect vehicle for Tim Burton’s unique style and vivid imagination. Michael Keaton plays the title role with maniacal relish and a dark edge of menace, alongside co-stars Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Catherine O’Hara and Winona Ryder. Courtesy of Warner Bros. © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Take part in a ghoulish costume contest, face-painting and family-friendly activities before the film.
Lil Bub & Friendz—Saturday, April 20
Called “the most famous cat on the Internet,” the wide-eyed perma-kitten Lil Bub is the adorable embodiment of the Web's fascination with all things cats. Join Lil Bub and her owner on wild cross-country romp as they meet the Internet’s most famous cat-lebrities. Meet adorable kitties, see hilarious videos and hear from the dedicated cat enthusiasts who love them.
Pet enthusiasts unite! Pre-show activities, contests and giveaways for cat lovers of all ages.
TRIBECA FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR
Saturday, April 27
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Greenwich Street (between Chambers Street and Hubert Street)
Presented by American Express
The Tribeca Family Festival, presented by American Express, will feature the annual Street Fair on Saturday, April 27, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Greenwich Street from Chambers Street to Hubert Street, and at venues throughout the Tribeca neighborhood. The fair, a Festival favorite, is free and open to the public, and promises to be a day of family fun and lively entertainment.
Activities and performances throughout the Street Fair will bring storytelling and filmmaking to life. The celebration will include talented performers, dancers, stilt walkers, Broadway performances, arts and crafts, face painters, puppet shows, music, games and much more. Students from dozens of local schools will also be at the fair with live performances and vibrant student artwork. The Street Fair will also host restaurants, merchants and organizations from the Tribeca neighborhood. The American Express Guest Information Booths will offer comprehensive Festival information, including event, screening and neighborhood information. More details and a map of events will be available in the coming weeks at www.tribecafilm.com.
- The Tribeca Studios Backlot will bring classic elements of filmmaking on location in New York City to life. Families can also create their own movie pitch, step in front of a green screen, learn how to animate their own stories and participate in workshops on stunts, make-up, editing, and more. Participating organizations include:
- The Tribeca Film Institute: Movie Hacker! is a fun, interactive experience for the whole family to enjoy. It gives movie lovers of all ages a chance to "load" into their favorite big screen hits, flip the script, and become the new stars. Movie Hacker! was created by the Tribeca Film Institute's team of Teaching Artist Donal Foreman, and Film Fellows class of 2012, Mercedes Ortiz and Marsha Larose. The Tribeca Film Institute hosts a year round Film Fellows program that teaches high school students to conceptualize, pitch, and produce their own films.
- Museum of the Moving Image will present a range of hands-on activities facilitated by Museum educators, including animation, video game hacking, and flipbook making.
- The Mayor’s Office of Media & Entertainment (MOME) will have a presence on the “lot” with its “Made in NY” branded hot dog cart. Reps from the office will distribute information about REEL JOBS, resident FAQs, PA Training Program and the “Made in NY” Lower Manhattan Walking Tour. Panels and discussions will focus on NYC as a production location and the REEL JOBS campaign. Professional film gear on display will include a grip truck, an electric truck, a make-up trailer, a “high end” star trailer and a camera car.
- Tribeca Flashpoint Academy: Calling all digital kids, teens, and parents! Don’t miss Tribeca Flashpoint Academy -- Chicago’s renowned digital media arts college, a partnership with Tribeca Enterprises) -- as they demonstrate cutting-edge film, gaming, and special effects technology. Make a computer monitor seemingly come to life through Augmented Reality, watch students cut a TV commercial in record time during 30-minute live demonstrations, and more!
- Live “Broadway at Tribeca” Performances will feature the casts from Annie, Wicked, Cinderella, Kinky Boots, Motown: The Musical and Hands On A Hardbody.
- A lineup of New York City chefs will share cooking secrets and offer demonstrations and tastings at the Tribeca Food Feast, a new area at the Street Fair that will feature a chef’s kitchen stage designed for the Street Fair. Activities will include cake icing, meatball baking and taste testing. Festivalgoers can sample food from local restaurants and select specialty food vendors from around the New York City area.
- An exciting sneak preview of the upcoming summer comedy The Smurfs 2, alongwith a free family screening of the beloved film The Smurfs and special appearances by cast members at BMCC’s Tribeca Performing Arts Center Theater.
- Children and families can make their own film credential at the event. The “VIP Pass” they create will be stamped at each area they experience, and a special prize awaits those who fill their pass with stamps.
- Kids can explore their artistic side with arts & crafts activities including turning recycled materials into custom creatures with the ScrapKins® team, street chalk art and face painting.
- At the Kite Place, kids will be able to make their own kite and learn to fly it from masters of the craft of Kiting.
- Special Character “Meet & Greets” from The Smurfs and others
- Puppet Shows and Workshops from Puppetworks Inc. and Noel MacNeal’s “10 Minute Puppets”.
- CHESS NYC will host “speed tournaments” and ongoing chess matches for all skill levels
- The Gazillion Bubble Garden will have bubble wands of all shapes and sizes, and will offer bubble play to all who enter.
- The Tribeca Kids Access Student Reporters, a diverse group of smart, articulate kids (ages 10-14) from Tribeca and other downtown schools, will cover this year’s Tribeca Film Festival, from red-carpet premieres and panel discussions to all of the action at the Street Fair. Now in its 10th year, the reporters will be supported by camera crews from the Art Institute of New York City.
- Other participants include the Young Storytellers Foundation, Victorian Gardens at Wollman Rink in Central Park, and the New York Philharmonic’s Credit Suisse Very Young Composers.
Games, prizes, music and fun will also be supported by 60 Hudson, AT&T, Clear Channel Media and Entertainment New York, ESPN, PepsiCo, Petcurean, Pure Leaf, Moishe’s, Radio Disney AM 1560, Real Simple Magazine, The New York Times, and Time Out Kids. Additional activities include:
- Interactive games including DJ Studio and All Star Guitar and an experience to make a customized video/flipbook provided by AT&T, along with a cell phone charging station."
- Dogs can walk the orange carpet at a screening of a short film about pets and enjoy doggy refreshments from Petcurean
- Pepsi will present a sidewalk chalk art station as well as the Pepsi Next Taste Challenge and Tropicana sampling
- Pure Leaf sampling on-site will invite Family Festival goers to take the Real Brewed Challenge – a blind taste test between Pure Leaf and freshly brewed iced tea. Pure Leaf will also have a photo activity for children and families to create their own “Celebri-tea” handprint.
- Be a red carpet star! Have your photo taken with a classic movie character at The New York Times Film Club photo booth.
- 60 Hudson will host the Hubert Street Stage, the Arts and Crafts Pavilions and an art contest for local students. One piece of artwork selected from participating schools will be showcased in the 60 Hudson window located on the corner of West Broadway and Thomas Street.
For updated information on the Tribeca Family Festival Street Fair, visit tribecafilm.com/family.
TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY
Saturday, April 27
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
N. Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street)
A perennial favorite of the Family Festival Street Fair, the seventh annual Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day will take place on Saturday, April 27, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on N. Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street). The Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day gives sports fan the opportunity to engage in a variety of free, sports-related activities that will include games, demonstrations and prize giveaways. In addition, some of New York’s most popular athletes, mascots and sports personalities will make guest appearances throughout the day.
- ESPN New York will be on hand giving fans the chance to take home great memorabilia and get their picture taken behind the ESPN New York desk.
- NFL PLAY 60, the NFL’s campaign to encourage kids to be active for 60 minutes a day, will be guiding festivalgoers through fun football agility drills and will offer great giveaways.
- Fathead®, the leading brand of sports and entertainment graphics, will have life-size standees of well-known professional athletes on the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival red carpet for sports fans to pose with.
- Join the New York Rangers for an interactive hockey experience, giveaways, contests & prizes for all ages.
- The New York Mets will offer a special ticket giveaway.
- The Downtown Giants Youth Football organization will offer football instruction and fun activities.
- Fencers Club Olympians and elite athletes will be on hand to teach kids the exciting and safe sport of fencing.
- Visit with the Staten Island Yankees, meet their mascot Scooter the Holy Cow, and try your luck on the Baby Bombers skeeball inflatable.
- The National Lacrosse League will bring a fun, inflatable lacrosse activity.
- The National Hockey League Foundation will offer great giveaways throughout the day.
- Get your run on with fun activities and games from New York Road Runners.
- New York Women’s Baseball will run pitching and throwing clinics.
- Tribeca Sailing NYC, launching soon from Pier 25 in Tribeca, will have fun sailing games, instruction and prizes and will help youth practice their knot tying skills.
- Players from New York Empire will offer giveaways and provide Ultimate instruction.
- The NY Rumble, a professional Ultimate Frisbee Team, will be holding contests for free merchandise and tickets, as well as teaching about the fastest growing sport in the country: Ultimate Frisbee.
- Uncle Funkys Boards and Sure Skateboards will be on-hand to provide beginner skateboard lessons and skate demonstrations.
- The Myachi Original Hand Sack masters will be on site with their award winning Battle Paddles and tricks.
- DiscNY will teach you the basics of throwing and test your accuracy with a variety of disc games.
- City Parks Foundation area will host a custom-built practice green where kids can test their putting skills and win prizes.
- Cricket will return to Sports Day with cricket demonstrations presented by www.newyorkcricket.com.
- Jump in the ropes and learn to double dutch jump rope with the instructors of Double Dutch Empire.
- Sky Blue FC, New Jersey’s franchise in the National Women’s Soccer League, will be giving away free tickets and information on their upcoming season.
- The New York Red Bulls will be onsite with their exciting Red Bulls Street team showing off ball tricks and teaching youth new soccer skills.
For updated information on the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day, visit www.tribecafilm.com/espn.
Downtown Youth Behind The Camera
Sunday, April 21
SVA Theatre (333 West 23rd Street)
The Tribeca Family Festival will once again present “Downtown Youth Behind The Camera,” a program of short films made by elementary and middle school emerging student filmmakers from the downtown communities of New York City. This year marks the 10th anniversary of this popular program.
Sneak Preview of The Smurfs 2 and Family Screening of The Smurfs
Saturday, April 27
BMCC/Tribeca Performing Arts Center (199 Chambers Street)
Hosted by Time Out Kids
The evil wizard Gargamel chases the Smurfs out of their village and into the exciting, real-life world of New York City in this family mega-hit featuring Neil Patrick Harris, Hank Azaria, Glee’s Jayma Mays and the voice talents of Katy Perry, Alan Cumming, Jonathan Winters, Fred Armisen and more.
Note: Admission is free and ticketed on a first-come, first-served basis. Lines at BMCC begin 30 minutes prior to the start of the program.
Saturday, April 27
Tribeca Film Center (375 Greenwich Street)
Film Fellows with the Tribeca Film Institute will screen a special program of short films created by downtown student filmmakers. (Recommended for ages 12 and up)
GE FOCUS FORWARD: “The Long and Short of Innovation”
Saturday, April 27
Tribeca Film Center (375 Greenwich Street)
A special program of Family-friendly short docs that focuses on innovation in storytelling will feature filmmakers from the GE FOCUS FORWARD Short Films, Big Ideas series, including director Ricki Stern. (Recommended for ages 12 and up)
STORY CORPS: “Stories In Animation”
Saturday, April 27
Tribeca Film Center (375 Greenwich Street)
StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind, and their original animated shorts series features some of their best-loved radio stories. The Peabody Award-winning and two-time Emmy-nominated StoryCorps Animated Shorts feature the stories of everyday people, told in their own voices and brought to life with animation from the Rauch Brothers.
PUBLIC SCREENINGS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH MOMA PS1
There will be screenings for two TFF titles in partnership with MoMA PS1.
Installation will be open during Museum hours from Thursday, April 18-Saturday, April 27, excluding Sundays
Special event on Saturday, April 20 at 5 p.m.
VW Dome at MoMA PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave. Long Island City, NY)
Presented in partnership with MoMA PS1
Alberi directed by Michaelangelo Frammartino. (Italy) –World Premiere, Documentary. Wrapping the audience in waves of sound, Alberi takes us on a circular journey through the Italian countryside. The marvelous natural music at the tops of the eponymous trees makes way for the rhythmic cadence of civilization—men baring axes and the natural clatter of daily life—before their unforgettable return home from the forest. The singular artistry of director Michelangelo Frammartino (Le quatro volte) is beautifully displayed in this mesmerizing homage to nature. Italian with subtitles.
Stand Clear of the Closing Doors
Saturday, April 27
MoMA PS1's VW Dome 2 (1-94 Beach 95th St. Queens, NY)
Presented in partnership with MoMA PS1 and Rooftop Films
Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, directed by Sam Fleischner, written by Rose Lichter-Marck and Micah Bloomber. (USA) – World Premiere. When autistic teen Ricky is scolded for skipping class, he escapes into the subway for a days-long odyssey among the subway’s disparate denizens. Meanwhile, his mother wages an escalating search effort above ground. Based on a true story and set in Far Rockaway, Queens, in the days leading up to Hurricane Sandy, these parallel stories of mother and son take the viewer on a touching journey of community and connection in and below New York City.
About the Tribeca Film Festival:
The Tribeca Film Festival helps filmmakers reach the broadest possible audience, enabling the international film community and general public to experience the power of cinema and promote New York City as a major filmmaking center. It is well known for being a diverse international film festival that supports emerging and established directors.
Founded by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff in 2001 following the attacks on the World Trade Center, to spur the economic and cultural revitalization of the lower Manhattan district through an annual celebration of film, music and culture, the Festival brings the industry and community together around storytelling.
The Tribeca Film Festival has screened more than 1,400 films from more than 80 countries since its first edition in 2002. Since inception, it has attracted an international audience of more than 4.0 million attendees and has generated an estimated $750 million in economic activity for New York City.
About the 2013 Festival Sponsors
As Founding Sponsor of the Tribeca Film Festival, American Express is committed to supporting the Festival and the art of filmmaking, bringing business and energy to New York City and offering Cardmembers and festivalgoers the opportunity to enjoy the best of storytelling through film.
The Tribeca Film Festival is pleased to announce the return of its Signature Sponsors: Accenture, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Bloomberg, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin, Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC), Brookfield, Cadillac, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, ESPN, GE FOCUS FORWARD (in partnership with cinelan), Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Heineken USA, JetBlue, Magnum® Ice Cream, NBC 4 New York, NCM Media Networks, The New York Times, and OppenheimerFunds. The Festival is also honored to welcome the following new Signature Sponsors: AT&T, IWC Schaffhausen, PepsiCo, and Sony Electronics.
VP of Communications
Associate VP, Rubenstein Communications