GAMES FOR CHANGE
2016 G4C PUBLIC ARCADE AT TRIBECA FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR
The Games for Change (G4C) Public Arcade will take place on Jay Street (between Greenwich & Hudson) in NYC, on April 23, 2016. Offering a full city block of digital and card games, live action games, hands-on building and a parkour obstacle course, the G4C Arcade celebrates the positive power of play. These games are not only fun, they’re also designed for learning and social change!
LIVE GAMES & ACTIVITIES:
GIGANTIC MECHANIC + COME OUT & PLAY PRESENT: SHORT ORDER
Short Order is a fast-paced game about teamwork that gets the whole family playing together. Kids and adults work together playing waiters and line chefs in one of the craziest kitchens in town. You only have a couple of minutes to serve up as many wacky dishes as you can. Each chef has their own special ingredients, so filling orders depends on quick thinking and great communication. Order up!
Gigantic Mechanic is a game design studio exploring new ways to bring fun and engaging experiences to the world around us through real-world, physical and social play. We work with museums, cities and brands interested in providing deeply engaging, interactive experiences their visitors and customers will talk about and cherish for years to come.
Come Out & Play brings play back to the real world with regular events and an annual summer festival showcasing the best new street and live-action games from around the world.
MOVEMENT CREATIVE PRESENTS: PARKOUR OBSTACLE COURSE
Come learn a cool new move, try our challenges for all levels, or check out our versatile POP-UP Playground. No matter your comfort level or age, you’ll find an activity you can try safely.
The Movement Creative is dedicated to positively changing the city through teaching parkour and movement as well as designing spaces and games to inspire play for all ages.
PLAY:GROUND PRESENTS: IMAGINE & BUILD
play:ground provides young people with the opportunity to use their imaginations to build and create with other young people, through self-directed play, and to make their own decisions on how to use materials, space, and time. We’ll be encouraging playing, solving, building, drawing, folding, shaping, stacking, laughing, and creating!
DIGITAL / CARD GAMES:
AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY PRESENTS: GUTSY & MICRORANGERS
1. Gutsy The Card is about the microbes that make you…you! This fast, fun-filled card game challenges you to diversify your gut microbiome faster than your fellow players.
2. MicroRangers is an augmented reality game designed to be played on a mobile device while at the American Museum of Natural History. Players team up with scientists and microscopic lifeforms to fight global threats to biodiversity and the 6th Extinction!
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent scientific and cultural institutions. Since its founding in 1869, the Museum has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret, and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world, and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education, and exhibition.
7 GENERATION GAMES PRESENTS: MATH & SCIENCE GAMES
1. Spirit Lake teaches multiplication, division, and Dakota culture. Save your tribe from attacks and a spreading epidemic. Escape rabid wolves. Hunt buffalo. Math has never been this fun!
2. Fish Lake teaches fractions and Ojibwe culture. Watch out for poisonous snakes! Make your way down the rapids. Find enough food for your village’s survival.
3. Forgotten Trail teaches fractions, real-world applications of math, and Ojibwe culture. Make your way across the country. Navigate through mazes. Watch a graphic novel come to life. See why math matters.
4. AzTech is a bilingual (English/Spanish) game that teaches statistics and measurement and data and Central American and U.S. Hispanic history. Decipher ancient codices. Prepare for battle. Journey through the past to the present.
7 Generation Games makes games combining math, social studies and adventure gaming, in both English and Spanish. The games featured at the G4C Arcade will be Spirit Lake, Fish Lake, Forgotten Trail and AzTech.
CYBERHERO LEAGUE: A MOBILE ADVENTURE GAME
Join nonprofit organizations on an epic quest to achieve the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals! In this scout-like adventure, players don a "digital cape" and gather historical and cultural artifacts trapped in locations around the world. Back in the hideout, assemble the facts, plan a mode of attack, and set out to tackle defilers. Victory unlocks treasure in the form of real world aid for people, animals, and imperiled environments. Filled with unique narrative encounters, and based upon award-winning science, Cyberhero League is designed to empower the next generation of heroes.
PBS KIDS PRESENTS: SCRATCH JR., KART KINGDOM, AND PARENTS PLAY & LEARN
1. Scratch Jr.: Kids can create their own interactive stories and games featuring their favorite characters from Wild Kratts, Nature Cat, WordGirl and Peg + Cat! The storytelling possibilities are endless with this creative coding app for children ages 5-8.
2. Kart Kingdom: Kart Kingdom is a fun interactive virtual world where kids can explore and learn by completing quests and playing PBS KIDS games. Travel the world in your own unique Karts you can upgrade and change by playing games, completing quests, and crafting new Kart parts.
3. PBS Parents Play & Learn: PBS’ first app designed specifically for parents, providing games parents can play with their kids, each themed around a familiar location. The bilingual (English/Spanish) app makes it easy for parents to seize upon those daily “teachable moments” through theme-based interactive games and simple hands-on activities that connect math and literacy skills to everyday experiences.
PBS KIDS, the number one educational media brand for kids, offers all children the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television, digital platforms and community-based programs. Their award winning website provides engaging interactive content, including digital games and streaming video. PBS KIDS also offers mobile apps to help support young children’s learning.
GAMES FOR CHANGE PRESENTS: SAVE THE PARK
A unique collaborative game where you play as a park volunteer and experience the conservation activities that support the U.S. National Parks. Launched as part of the campaign to celebrate the 2016 National Park Service
Centennial, Save the Park seeks to inspire and encourage a new generation of park lovers to take an active role in helping preserve these important natural and historic resources for future generations.
Games for Change (G4C) is a nonprofit that promotes games for social impact and learning. G4C will demo several unique, award-winning games that teach kids how to code, tell indigenous stories, engage in the community, or understand current events.